Thursday, May 23, 2013

Lemme get this straight (but maybe I won't)


Obama has just decided to end the GWOT (Global War on Terror) and advocate imprisoning instead for continued covert operations outside the Geneva conventions and American law.

And he is advocating for the sunset of the war powers act.

Um...

Why does this feel like a sleight of hand trick?

Here's the thing--limiting executive power is good.  Putting it up to public scrutiny, not just governmental checks and balances is better.

By giving the military and executive power up to traditional checks and balances, we can rest easier.

By opting for a covert approach, free of judicial oversight, we continue to violate our own principles.

Sure military is bad, but having a spy agency run the operations?  There isn't even the semblance of legality.

Maybe I missed something but it doesn't appear Obama is actually looking to legislation that would limit his power.

Aside from asking for the War Powers Act to expire.

I don't know what the end game is, but if Obama trends this way I will become happier.

Let me put it this way.  The Executive was supposed to be weak; vested with only a few powers.  Under every administration it has grown steadily.  I would like to see a righting of that skew.

I would also like to see Congress be functional.

And the Judicial to stop contorting itself in its decisions.

And pigs to fly.

So forgive me for being cynical, but a lot more needs to change than the end to the GWOT.