Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Trapped 2/3

Short story 2/3:

Work got busy after that. I didn’t see him for a couple weeks, but I chatted with him online a bit. He could type significantly faster than he could speak, and conversations were almost more enjoyable when I didn’t have to talk to him face to face.

Carternity: You at work?
LeeAll: I’m always at work. Big report due.
Carternity: Oh...I guess you suck then. I think I’m going to be better.
LeeAll: What do you mean? You ok man?
Carternity: I’m better than ok. Thanks for tucking me into bed and listening to me.
LeeAll: Yeah. If you want more get a call girl next time though
Carternity: hahaha funny dude. I’ll let you work. Ttyl.
LeeAll: ttyl

I shook my head at what he had said, usually when he said stuff like that he was gearing up for a big night of drinking and debauchery. The motorcycle company settled out with him for a significant sum and he would live comfortably off it for the rest of his life.

I was sitting at home on Friday night, just ready to unwind when I got his text. “I did it. Get on the network.” I was curious what he was talking about. I logged onto the network and saw a notification from him. I clicked on it. A big corporate logo flashed with a disclaimer and a long end-user license agreement. I idly checked the box and clicked accept. Then Carter’s face appeared.

It was just his face though, no background or anything. And he looked different. Plastic almost. But at the same time he looked happy. He spoke, “hey I did it! See?” I didn’t understand really.

“You learned to video chat?” I said sarcastically.

“No, I’m all digital now,” he said with excitement.

“What do you mean you are all digital now?”

“I mean that my brain is now a series of ones and zeroes, I am the internet.”

I scoffed, “don’t give me crap, what’s going on?”

He paused. His hand went to his forehead and rubbed it in frustration. But it was his real hand. I gasped. He looked at his hand, then at me, and smiled. “If I hadn’t gone digital I wouldn’t be able to do this,” he motioned wildly, then he let his hand fade away as if it were never there.