Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Easter 3 Sunday 1

On Sunday I awoke as early as I could. I had a surprise in store for Ciera. When I crept out of bed to try to start executing my plan, I ran into Amberlee. I was momentarily stunned, no one gets up earlier than me that is my age--aside from Katherine.

“Good morning,” she said while I tried to conceal a deer in the headlights stare. I cursed silently to myself.

“I’m going to make some coffee,” I said nonchalantly.

She smiled and went out to the porch to read her book. I breathed a sigh of relief, she hadn’t noticed that I was up to something. I went to the kitchen and put a pot of coffee on.

I love the smell and scent of a fresh brew. It has so much emotional baggage tied to it. Good baggage. The kind of baggage that is filled with childhood memories; a time where uncertainty was a mythology of the outside world. I stood in the kitchen briefly, letting the brewing coffee reach my nose.

Then I set to work. I carefully and quietly opened the refrigerator door, and located the Easter Eggs we had prepared the day before. I looked out the window. Amber was obliviously reading on the bench, facing out onto the beach. As long as I was quiet she would never know what I was up to.

I proceeded to become the Easter bunny. I filled my hand warmer pouch in my hoodie with the eggs and tip toed around, placing eggs in hiding spots. I was a careful hider. I put eggs in places with similar colors, carefully disguising them. I even made a pretense about going outside and hid an egg right under Amber’s nose.

I felt so clever.

This is exactly why I loved magic as a kid. The knowledge of a trick, a deception, while the audience looked on. But then I got bored of it. Sleight of hand wasn’t cool; it was just a trick the sly pulled on an unaware public.

Magic for me was something different. A good trick let the audience in on the trick while not ruining the entertainment. A good trick gave up its secrets.

Hiding the eggs was precisely that. A revealment and a trick in one. That and tricks were much more fun when I was the one with the secrets.

Ciera awoke and I greeted her. I told her I would start making some french toast and let her get a little coffee. Then I leaned in close and whispered in her ear, “happy birthday. I hid the eggs around the house. You get your own Easter egg hunt.”

She squealed with delight. I went to the kitchen to start cooking while she enlisted Amberlee to help her out. I felt so sly for not getting caught and revealing the act only when I was ready.

And then they started searching for the eggs and it was even funnier. I took a picture of them on their hunt. In the background, on the top of a painting, is an egg. Right behind them. It took them nearly 20 minutes to find 11 eggs. By the time they were done, I had finished breakfast and everyone was awake.