Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Just Things.

What if you woke up tomorrow and everything was gone? Just you alone in a space. With everything gone. You knew this moment was coming so it doesn’t surprise you. You consented to having everything taken away from you already. And you will never get any of this stuff back.

What does that feel like?

It’s something we all have in the back of our heads. This world is cruel and there are many different ways to lose everything all the time. Earthquakes, tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, war, fire. It all happens. And it all has a possibility of striking at any moment.

So we have all consented to having everything taken from us in an instant. We just don’t think about it much. We cling to routine as our safety net. It didn’t happen yesterday, and it probably won’t happen today.

And realistically, that’s about all anyone can really do. No one can plan for every contingency. It just doesn’t do to be constantly fighting the urge to wrap oneself in bubble wrap. So when I ask the question, what does that feel like, I suppose I am asking about the coping mechanisms we implement everyday to stave off the real possibility that our lives can be altered randomly and without warning.

But how much is stuff really worth. The majority of furniture that Ciera and I have we obtained for under $50 in total. That means that our assets have minimal dollar value. But there is sentiment in objects. Certainly they can’t store memories or replace people, but things have an emotional attachment. Having it all ripped from you is emotionally affecting.

I am materialistic. I try not to be. But things keep me warm and comfortable and happy. TV melts my brain at a toasty temperature while computers become my window to the world.

I think people are going to become more and more integrated with their technology. and at what point do we have to pull away from that and just get away from the noise? Our search for progress in self-indulgent things is slowly making us dependent on our things.

Don’t get me wrong, I love things. I love the latest gadgetry. But I am wary of new technologies that only promise fun but not functionality. Most smartphones are driving us in the direction of dependency. What do we lose by entrusting more of ourselves to inanimate things.