Sunday, February 12, 2012

Tanztheater Wuppertal Pina Bausch

I woke up today and made Ciera a french toast breakfast. We have lounged around since then.

I am behind in my blogs...again.

Dream big and be happily disappointed when you don’t make it.

I want to learn to write songs and sing.

I have too much stuff. Amber and Eleanor came over for dinner and I made pasta and marinara with my flair. I also made artichoke. That didn’t come out so hot. I love artichoke but it is a hassle to cook. I have to figure that out.

I listen to indie music. I was into the Black Keys before they were big. Do I have hipster cred now?

We need a bed skirt. Probably a new mattress too. Probably something to fix the creaky bedframe as well. I just tried. It didn’t work.

Last night we saw Pina 3D. Pure. Phenomenal. Speechless. The best film I’ve seen in ages. It gave me hope for the use of 3D as more than just a gimmick. It eclipsed live theater and traditional cinema in a way I had never thought possible.

It was pretty freakin’ cool. I’m going to Wuppertal. Dance, dance, otherwise we are lost. The movie was a masterpiece.

I would not be surprised if we looked back on this movie and said that it ushered in a new era of 3D. It didn’have objects stabbing you in the face as most traditional 3D does. Instead it played with the subtlety that is the real world. Intimacy of closeness, audible gasps came from the audience in the first scene when a sheer screen passes across the stage; a willowy ghost that grazes you. Vastness of space, a man dances on the top of a ridge that looks out on the German countryside; a sigh of relief and beauty at something so far away.

Seeing the settings in 3D was different from most movie-going experiences. I wanted to go to the majestic settings but somehow I felt like I was there. And isn’t that what 3D is supposed to be? A real fusion between the screen and reality.

And as for the dance part. Pure. Go see it. That is all I can say.