Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Seattle Snow 1/2

Things you don’t really hear in Seattle. “Is there a coffee shop near here?”

It snowed here in Seattle. It usually snows at least a few times a year every year here. At least that’s what I’ve heard. But the problem is that with just a little snow the city shuts down. Ciera and I wandered around Queen Anne yesterday. The side streets weren’t plowed and cars struggled to move through the layer of ice under the layer of slush under the layer of beautiful fluffy snow.

We walked to Kerry Park and took a picture of white noise. A gray canvas stood before us completely obscuring the city. It was quiet and beautiful like snow always is.

We secretly hoped that it would snow us in; keep us inside and keep us from our work. But that is difficult of course. We make our money off our hours these days. It’s hard to make that stuff up. Every fun hour is a lost dime; a pittance but far more than we can afford.

Today I walked to work like I always do. But this time I left a little early. The sidewalks were completely frozen. I should have brought a sled to go down Queen Anne hill because any other way was a mess. Little baby steps down a mountain. One foot in front of the other as I used the feeble traction on my shoes to keep myself upright.

It was that moment when my feet went up hill and my face jerked toward the steep incline covered in ice that I realized how precarious bipedalism is. It has many advantages but I couldn’t possibly say that walking downhill on spindly stilts on icy terrain was one of them.

Seattle doesn’t know how to deal with snow. The city rents their snow plows from Oregon. King County has six snow plows. Martial law has real meaning after several days of snow here. And that may very well be the case. We are due for more snow; three whole days. And it’s going to be a doozy. Nearly a foot over three days. Try not to laugh if you are from the mountain west or the north east. We have rain on lock down; but a few inches is crippling.