Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Move 1

We did it. With no shortage of bickering on “how you should drive because that was dangerous back there” and “I know but you missed that turn there, I told you that was the right one now we're stuck in traffic” and “can we just turn on some music” and “I don't want to listen to that, there's nothing good on.” It was Ciera and I moving in together.

But first there was a road trip. And that was difficult; mostly because Ciera and I can't agree what the proper course of action is when driving down I-5. Who would have thought that there could be so much room for argumentation on what is basically a straight shot south?

Ciera picked me up at work then we drove to South Lake Union. After, we went and dropped our stuff off at the apartment; everything that Ciera could dump in the car. It wasn't much, but it was our lives. We had been making the steady spiral into a place of our own since graduation. It felt like we were spinning slowly until the moment we said “yes.”

And then we were spiraling so quickly I couldn't remember the utter terror I felt at being homeless. Instead it was replaced with the sheer horror of “can we do this?” I think we did, because I woke up on Thursday morning with all of my stuff packed, tossed it into the car, worked a six hour shift, and hopped onto the road. We signed the papers, wrote the check and were off.

I felt the keys in my pocket. A mere two days ago, I had none. Keys were a foreign concept to me. Things that opened someone else's door. Having one's own set of keys holds so much meaning in this society. I was happy to feel the light jingle in my pocket. I had my own stuff. I had my own space. Well, Ciera and I did.

So we arrived in Portland. The feeling of entering Portland is one of complete safety. It holds so much family there and I never worry about where I'm going in the world. I know that I can always come back to Portland. At grandma and grandpa's we hung out with Jessi and Adam—my cousin and his girlfriend—who are trying to make a life for themselves as well. They are making the downstairs of my grandparent's house an apartment. It's so odd to see the basement transformed into my cousin's home.

Olivia stayed the night. She was going to be helping us move. She had just broken up with her long-time boyfriend and was having difficulty adjusting to life away from home. Transferring to Portland State was an abrupt push into the real world for her. She was homesick and missed her cat. Finding friends was difficult at a predominantly commuter school. But she was going to come up with us to help us move in. And get a little reprieve from the chaos of adjusting. She would help us adjust—and I've personally noticed that she is at her best in those moments of compassion and charity.

Andy refused to leave my side. He came up to me and was so loving. It was nice to see him; such a bundle of stinky fur. After putting the dog Andy to bed in Olivia's room(the big golden retriever was looking much healthier than when I had left him) Ciera and I tried to sleep, knowing that the next day was going to be even more chaotic.