Saturday, June 11, 2011

Fishing

I reeled in the trout. It was a beautiful fish with green on its back and speckles. It was a sleek creature, almost pure muscle. It put up a pretty decent fight; my line was strong though. I tried to be as gentle with it as possible. I knew that it would suck to have a hook in one's mouth.

I pulled it in quickly, every moment counted. If I didn't pull the trout in before it exhausted itself, it could very well kill itself by over-exerting. Once it was on shore I tried to secure it down quickly so it would not slam against the rocks. I did not want to kill or eat this fish. I merely wanted to relax on the shores of the beach with a rod and reel.

I called for Ciera to help me pull it in and let it out to sea. I was a novice at the catch and release game. I rarely pulled a fish in, and when I did they were bullheads; ugly creatures that could never die. But I think I did it all right. The fish squirmed beneath Ciera's grip. I got the pliers and tried to pull against the hook. The trout burst to life trying to escape. But I tried again. This time I grabbed the hook and pulled it out completely. The fish was free.

I picked up the trout and let it back into the ocean. Panicked and anxious, it disappeared into the briny waves that lapped at the worn rocks of the shore. I cast my line one more time that day, but the knot at the end of the hook was frayed and the lure flew off into the water. I had pushed my luck and would not be fishing again.

We built a small fire on the beach; watched the sunset. If I could bring everyone to this place I would. Serenity exists somewhere around the stark white pillars, the perfect lawn, the wooden swings, the blackberry bushes, the cool breeze, the gorgeous sunsets that last forever. Paradise can be found.