Thursday, June 30, 2011

Apathy Vomit

Mama and her cat Kerry have a language. That's what she tells me. At dinner tonight, she showed me. Kerry walked up to Mama's chair, got up on her hind legs and reached her paws out to touch her arm. She does this sometimes. It is a tender moment. Mama usually responds by telling Kerry in her southern drawl, “no, you already ate.”

Kerry went to the door and looked out. I tried to let her out but Mama said that she only wants out when she mews. Sure enough, Kerry walked away when I opened the door. After dinner Mama fed Kerry a little bit. Kerry seemed happy about that.

I found a cool way of cooking potatoes today. I call it, “Better than Baked Potatoes.” You need only a couple things. Potatoes, olive oil, water, and some seasoning of your choice. Take some russet potatoes and boil them in a pot for about 30-40 minutes. Just until they are soft all the way through. Cut the potatoes down their length in half. Then put some olive oil in a pan, enough to cover the bottom. Put the potatoes flat face down on medium heat in the pan. Toss in salt or other seasonings and pour a little more oil over the skins. When the potatoes are brown on the flat side, flip them and turn the heat down to low, this should take about 8-10 minutes. Cook your other dishes. Serve and eat like baked potatoes.

I am thinking of submitting some of my writing to literary magazines. My Dad thinks it's a good idea. If any of the few people who are out there reading have an opinion, please tell me. Thoughts on a magazine? Thoughts on a specific submission? I'm loose and fast about this whole thing. I don't know what I'm doing.

Also, I am well aware of how my writing comes and goes, I believe it is the curse of writing everyday. Sometimes I'm on, other times I am just trying to finish the entry. I use the word 'just' too much. I think it's like an excuse almost. I'm just doing blank. Don't fault me because whatever you think is just a misconception. Just. It justifies things for me.

Is sci-fi really fantasy? They are both equally made up and technology begins to look a lot like magic in many stories. JK Rowling is an inconsistent writer. She is compelling and I like reading HP. But some things don't make much sense. Especially the arc of the entire series. The tones change so drastically and the annual appearance of Voldemort becomes so much more evil that one can hardly recognize the 7th book as part of the same series as the 1st book.

It is like Star Wars fans. They hate George Lucas because he is a crap writer exploiting the franchise for every last dime he can squeeze out of it. But he created a universe bigger than him, and people love that. I feel that to a lesser degree that is how it will be with Rowling's world.

I don't know. I'm just trying to get to 365 words.