Friday, April 29, 2011

First Impressions

A short story:

I wanted to see her again. It was that brief connection. That moment where I didn’t know where my feet were, that was the moment.

My knees buckled slightly, I wasn’t prepared for this. There have been few times in my life where I have been in convulsions of laughter, unable to see through my tears. And she made me feel weak, vulnerable, and at ease within just a few minutes of knowing her.

Then she was gone, almost as if she weren’t ever there. She had a vague connection to one of my friends but no reason to ever see her again.

The next morning at breakfast, I asked my friend who she was. My friend wasn’t in a bullshitting mood, “if you want her number you should have asked.”

“That’s not what I was getting at.” It was exactly what I was getting at.

“I’m going to lunch with her tomorrow. Come along with us.”

“I already told you,” I was interrupted.

“You got all misty-eyed and looked like a forlorn and abandoned puppy last night after she left. Don’t bullshit me.”

“Fine, if you insist then I will come.” I could feel my face get red, and I thought about being around her again. I was giddy. But I had only known her for a few minutes, what if it was just a spark not a fire? What if she didn’t even like me? What if I snarfed water all over the food? Why was I getting anxiety over someone who was basically a complete stranger?

Walking around I would hear her name and my heart would skip. Just slightly. Just enough to tell me that I was feeling faster than my thoughts.

I became oblivious to the world for a moment, the walkways and paths faded for a brief moment and I ran through every scenario in my head; most of them ended with me embarrassing myself and never seeing her again. Then I bumped into someone in my haze. Not a slight bump, one of those big, corner turning bumps that are always in movies.

And it was just my Hollywood style luck that the person I had hit was her. I smiled sheepishly at her and started trying to help her with her papers. They were scattered everywhere. I was frantically trying to gather the papers and apologize at the same time when I heard her mumbling.

“And it had to be the hot guy from the party last night…”

“Excuse me?”

“Did I say that out loud?” She looked surprised and horrified.

I started laughing. I was excited for lunch tomorrow, it would be great.