Saturday, April 23, 2011

Disaster Zone

Writing a blog a day has become amazingly hard. I have only to set aside 30 minutes of my day for writing it, but somehow it feels like an imposition on my life. I have it merely to make sense of the world around me; sometimes it serves as a surrogate for the world though. I have to find that balance.

I sat in the kitchen of Regent Street. I had tried to fix the window, and the light. Neither seemed to want to cooperate. The house was slowly falling apart, and not due to anything the inhabitants had been doing. It is the tragedy of owning an old home, they fall apart with only the slightest nudging. The downstairs toilet had stopped working a week ago, and now the windows were a mess.

So I sat, resigned to the fact that the house would collapse on itself if it so desired and there wasn't anything I could do to fix it without a clamp, a screwdriver, a hammer, some wood glue, some wire cutters, a stepladder, and pliers. Instead, I tried to control my laughter as the activity around me escalated to chaos.

I texted Ciera, “this is a disaster.” Alicia was rummaging through the cupboards, searching for something, and coming up empty. She idly twirled her hair between her fingers and bit her lip. She looked innocently in the lower right cupboard like a child searching for monsters in a bush. Unsatisfied with the cans of corn and beans, she turned to us and listened in.

Claire had been on fire, everything out of her mouth was a mixture of honest commentary and innocent oblivion. Her volume fluctuated wildly, leading her to speak her whispers and mumble speak her most eloquent ideas. In the meantime Alex was trying to get someone to respond to her inquiries and had devolved dramatically. She was frantically saying, “am I in a bubble? Can anyone hear me? Hello?” I was laughing so hard that I couldn't acknowledge her, further confirming her suspicions. In the meantime Piper was jumping everywhere, excited to do anything. It was a surreal experience to watch someone vibrate visibly.

It was nice to have a quiet night and just be with friends. It was what I needed. Later, we tried to watch “Never Been Kissed” and that was an absurdly bad movie. So don't watch it. I was very disappointed in it. I felt like I was watching a parody of the genre.

Before I went to bed, Alex and I had a DMC (deep meaningful conversation) about my state of mind. It was nice to know that she is there for me, that everyone is. My year has been hard, and I know that. I am so appreciative of everything they do, even if it is just a hug.