Saturday, March 12, 2011

Week; Break

Jasper Fforde just released his latest novel, One of Our Thursdays Is Missing, and it is awesome. Ciera and I have been reading it aloud and together all day. It is the sixth book in the Thursday Next series; another great installment from the genius mind of mister Fforde. Saying more would be ruining the story.

Spring break was supposed to be relaxing and fun. Sometimes life throws curve balls at you though, and really getting a read on the plan is not part of the plan. I did have a nice week; don't get me wrong, but a few things happened that sort of weighed me down—a lot.

As you may have noticed, there is a post about Ciera's grandfather (generously contributed by Ciera herself) and a post about my great aunt Yae. Both went into terminal states this week with little chance of recovery. It has been difficult for Ciera and I; I have also been so very happy to have someone there for me in a time of great pain. Ciera has been a rock, supporting me and helping me through my shock.

She has also brought me back to earth. Yae's condition was a complete shock for me, and I have been drifting off into thought. Unproductive thought, escapist realities.

I had a dream that I was reincarnated. I could remember my life before, everything. My new life was a second chance, an opportunity to do everything right. And I was excited to make the world a better place.

But that's just a fiction, and I know I have only one chance. I aspire to do good like my Auntie Yae, to be a wonderful and accepting person. Ciera's grandfather believed that a measure of a man was how many people showed up at his funeral. He does not want a funeral. He needs no measurement.

When I die, I don't want a funeral. I want a party. I want a celebration where I am less remembered and more where I am an excuse to bring people together. I want people to come together to celebrate their lives. To celebrate the potential and power they have. I want my death to be a rallying cry for people to live better.

I think Yae has done that. I think Ciera's grandfather has done that. And I will try.