Monday, November 2, 2009

Hallowe'en in Eireann

Irish breakfast. Market. Halloween. Tea. Sick. Costumes. Out. Dancing. Best DJ. Back. Rain. Politics.

Irish breakfast is big and meaty. I left two fries on the plate. A rarity. Here I usually eat everything. In this nice cafe/bar they serve an amazing tray of meat, potatoes, and beans, that keeps you full all-day and ready to take on the Irish gray. And there was an open-air market, and it was so nice to wander downtown to see kids in costumes and people selling their wares and enjoy a brisk October day.

After a bit of shopping, which Uncle Joe would have loved (in fact, he probably would go nuts here), we retired to the house for some tea. And Claire became sick. On Halloween. I think it was the Aspirin on a basically hungover empty stomach. After a nap and an actual dinner (pasta with a butter garlic sauce, which I totally improvised and is exceptionally good and simple) she seemed fine.

Simple Zucchini and Garlic Butter sauce:
3 Zucchinis (or as much as you want)
2-3 tbsp Olive oil
2-3 tbsp unsalted butter
¾ to 1 head of garlic
some water
salt and pepper to taste

thickly julienne the garlic. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes in just the olive oil until the garlic gets soft. Thickly chop the zucchini and toss in the pan. Add the butter. Season as necessary. Add water to keep the oil and butter from boiling off, use white wine if you want. Cook until the zucchini is how you like it. Serve with pasta. Serves 6 about.

Then we got liquor, but I didn't have ID even though I wasn't buying so it was so weird and sketchy because it doesn't quite make sense around here how I always have to have ID on me and that makes me freaking angry because they should just leave me alone and it really doesn't sit well that they have the authority to ask me for so much information without being a law enforcement body and without me being even being remotely close to breaking a law, but whatever.

And I got dressed as Zoolander, but it just looked gay. And I think I need straight male friends because I love the girls but I need to talk about football or sports or hot chicks or something. But not really. And I got to read some Sylvia Plath, and I have a huge list of works to read very soon. And I feel bad that I haven't actually read them.

And then we headed to the club. And we met Santa on the way. And the DJ at club 903 was hands down the best I have ever heard (excepting the really famous DJs). After New York pizza (made by a real New Yorker) we headed back in the rain. And it was very very rainy. Soaked by the time we got home. No big. Sat by the fire and talked (yelled?) politics, while country music played (Birthday girl Claire's choice not mine). At 5 in the morning we called it a night.

Ireland is rapidly coming to a close. I like it. I will come back.